Thursday, April 28, 2011

South Africa '05-China '06

A  few years down the road and a couple of mission trips later I found myself in South Africa. I was so excited! This was my first trip to Africa! I met a couple while there. During my time there they both became believers and the wife was healed. When my group first arrived at their home we served them by just helping with their daily chores. We washed clothes, scrubbed the floor, and through this shared the gospel. We found out that the wife had something wrong with her eyes and could no longer see. We read her stories out of the Bible of how Jesus healed the blind. We then asked if she would like us to pray for her to be healed, she said yes! We all prayed in agreement and came back the next day to find a woman who could see! Her eyes had been a yellowish color and now they were completely cleared up and she could see perfectly!
       Wow! I was 17 and had never prayed for anyone to be healed. It was amazing to see God work so powerfully in these peoples lives, and as much as they were changed so was I. That passion that God had given me for missions increased even more! This is a picture of that couple.


In January of 2006 I was preparing to go to Botswana that summer. I had already signed up and started planning for the trip. One Wednesday night my youth pastor asked me if I had ever thought about going to China. I did not tell him at the time but China was the one place I had told God I would never go. I was willing to go anywhere but there! He went on to tell me about when he had gone. Sounded like an amazing trip but just not for me. He told me I should pray about it and I half heartily told him I would.
             The next few days I did pray about it and just felt that God was leading me to change my plans and go to China. I did not know why but I told God I would go. So that June I got on a plane and ended up in the place I had told God I would NEVER go. Sadly I arrived with a bad attitude. It was hot, smelly, and there were way too many people! God had a bigger plan than what I could ever have imagined.
        In my quiet time one day I read Acts 20:24. God used that verse to adjust my attitude and completely change my outlook. I read all that Paul had been through yet he was not going to give up. He was determined to remain faithful, finish his race with Joy and to testify to the gospel of the Grace of God! This has become my life verse. It reminds me why I am here and what I have been sent to do! After I was willing to give up my wants and comforts God was able to do amazing things through me! Here is a picture of some of the students I worked with while there.



No comments:

Post a Comment