Thursday, April 28, 2011

North Africa 2010

In the fall of 2009 I met a man at a church here in Oklahoma who was originally from Pakistan. My friend that was with me knew I wanted to talk to him but was to shy. So she walked up to him and introduced me and left me there to talk to him. I was so nervous and not sure what to say. I told him a little about myself and that I had a desire to go to northern Africa and why. He told me he did not know anyone there but knew someone who did. After emailing several people I was connected with a group going on a short term trip into a north African country.
        When we first arrived it was definitely an overwhelming experience. All the women were wearing djellabas, only their faces showing, I did not understand the language, but there was something else that I experienced. As I looked at the people walking down the street or in the shops along the way, I saw them with God's eyes. I saw them as a people who only knew Jesus as a prophet not as their Savior. Many of them have never heard and may never hear of what Jesus did for them.
       The highlight of the trip for me was when I had the opportunity to stay in the homes of a couple families. Even though I did not speak the language, we found ways to communicate. As they taught me how to cut vegetables and make mint tea, and showed me how they made bread, I got a  glimpse into their daily life. We spent time praying for the people and for their leaders. I believe God has given me a desire to go back and show them the love of Jesus. Also to encourage the believers that live there. As I have learned from my time at Voice of the Martyrs, that life is not easy for them. They risk their jobs, families, and even their lives to follow Jesus.


This is a picture of one of the places we visited in a well known city. It is called the Bab Bou Jeloud.

This is one of the towns we visited in the northern part of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment